Thursday, April 14, 2011

Thanks for the Memories...But it's a big new world out there.

Time is a funny thing, you know. No matter how many times you want time to speed up or slow down, it seems to do the exact opposite. Another downright frustrating thing about time is that you cannot predict what it will bring. You can look back, and you can experience the moment, but never can you discern what is to happen tomorrow. I am entering my last few weeks as a college student. I have had many times the past few weeks to reminisce on what crazy, incredible, stupid, and ridiculous things I did to pass time here at Bethel. Some of these memories have brought laughter (and lots of it), and some have brought tears. I have been both blessed and cursed by the memories of the past four years, and the funny thing about all this reminiscing is that as a freshman four years ago, I never would have guessed I would be on other side of things, remembering instead of living.

I honestly thought I would be in college forever. Four years seemed like an eternity. I was scared to death to come to college and have to make new friends, and many times I was convinced I would never succeed in making many solid friendships, at least like the ones I was used to growing up. Now here I am, a graduating senior, devastated that I have to leave so many wonderful people, that have made such an impact on my life. It's hard to hear people talk about "next year" and what all wonders are going to take place and know that I will no longer be here, and that Bethel College will carry on like I was never here. That's where God steps in.

I feel a tap on my shoulder. "Brittany," a voice whispers. "Stop being afraid. You think the past four years have been great? Just wait till you see what is next. This was just the preparation." What a promise in the midst of my very frequent freak out sessions of becoming an adult and leaving the comfort of the Bubble. The beauty of being a child of God is that the adventure doesn't stop with college. In fact, I would argue that it does not fully begin to bear fruit until AFTER college. So even though these have been some of the best years of my life, I can rest assured that as long as I am walking hand-in-hand with the Almighty, my life is about to change in an incredible, unfathomable, unpredictable, and beautiful way. Move over, Bethel College, my life is about to begin :)

2 comments:

Maria said...

Brittany, God has done and is doing an amazing work in you. I am excited to see where He will lead you next.

Emily said...

So, this is my first time reading your blog and I really enjoyed it. You are a great writer. I'm so happy to hear how you are trusting in the Lord. I have no doubt he will lead you to lots of great and exciting places in the future.