Friday, November 19, 2010

Cliche and Overlooked.

I know that November usually brings an overboard, obsessive emphasis on the idea of Thanks-giving and being thankful. And that is not the motivation behind this post. This past week I was blessed, challenged, and convicted much more than I had anticipated. On Wednesday we were so privileged to have the Children of the World Choir in chapel performing for us. This choir was made up of children from Uganda, Nepal, and the Philippines who were orphaned or underprivileged. They had cute little songs and cute little dances to go along, drawing out many "oohs and ahhhs" from the congregation. But even though their little dances were "so cute," there was a specific time in the service where instead of the simple "oh-ah" response, a deep stirring arose in the depths of my soul. The kids invited us all to stand with them and sing along as they sang "Revelation Song." This was the only song that did not have a choreography for, and as we all stood there singing to the same God despite our age, culture, and situational differences, these precious, precious children were closing their eyes and raising their hands to God in innocent, perfect praise. These children, who were raising awareness for the dire need for clean water in their home villages, who stood before us with needs that we Americans cannot even fathom, were PRAISING. Tears welled up in my eyes as I guiltily thought about how many times I complain about the dumbest, most insignificant junk that is in my life. Compared to us these children have nothing, yet it is they who are able to surrender everything and be one with Christ.

So many times we get so caught up in the noise that is this life. I'm as guilty as anyone, if not more so. I get by on my "busy-ness" and have no time to just allow myself to praise God in the little things he provides as evidence that He is Love. He is Good. He is intimately concerned with my well-being. As I tried to contain the tears as I listened to those sweet, young voices sing praise to OUR God, I caught a glimpse of what God wants my, as well as your, spirits to be like. There is a reason Jesus said "let the children come to me." Our praise, our faithfulness, and our pursuit of Christ should be with the innocence and enthusiasm of a child.

God grant us the strength to humble ourselves to be CHILDREN of the Kingdom, rather than trying to be the leaders. Your will. Not ours.

Be blessed. And be thankful.

1 comment:

Maria said...

This is a beautiful post. God is growing you in a powerful way and it is privilege to see how you are submitting to Him.